Monday, September 21, 2009

Canoeing

We went to Causee to celebrate Paul's Birthday.. We thought it would be soo much fun to canoe back to the narrows and watch the kokanee salmon spone upstream. Bob and I did it like 5 years ago before we had kids and it was aton of fun...and really warm. we played mud football, and swam. This year it was not warm, not at all.






We got up to causee at about 5:20 and hiked the canoes down to the water... We had our canoe and then borrowed a family in the wards canoe... The canoe we borrowed was heavy, Way heavy, Paul and Bob carried that one down to the water, me and Jessie carried the lighter one. It was quite the walk, the wind was blowing. Bob and I had planned on it being warm, so we weren't quite dressed right, our friends were much more prepared for the colder weather. I had brought some warmer clothes thinking we might be a little chilled on the ride home, so we had sweatshirts, luckily for our poor boys. Of course we took our puppy's with us Tabby LOVES canoeing. We were about 50 yards from the shore when our Cali pup jumped over board, she was going after a dog on the shores. Cali is, well, special. I called for her and watched her swim circles for a bit. I know that causee has cold water I have swam in it many time's so I got worried our pup would freeze out there. So I jumped in. WOW that was really stupid I thought the water would go up to my waist and I would just walk over to her. That is so not what happened, the water went up over my head and took my breathe away it was so stinking cold I hung on to the canoe for a while trying to catch my breathe then I called Cali swam a bit and grabbed my pup out of the water. I climbed back into the canoe. Poor Stephen was scared after watching me act like a idiot, As I was climbing into the canoe he was really worried I was going to flip the canoe. Our canoe has seats that make it really hard to flip , I told him just stay on the opposite side and his weight would help keep it stable. His eyes got real big and he said "But you are way bigger then me." I climbed back in the canoe and started paddling, I was so embarrassed, and cold really cold.


We got to the narrows and hiked in a bit watching the water for the kokanee. Paul was really good at spoting them, we saw like 5 it was pretty fun. Henry found and caught a little tiny kokanne:) The water running into causee was freezing, the Kids were so cold, I felt awful, this was not suppose to be a cold activity.



The Lake was beautiful with all the leaves changing colors and the bright green background. We got back to the car and ate some sandwiches and snacks...We hope Paul had a fun time... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! We did really enjoy the evening, and will be better prepares next time.