Saturday, May 10, 2008

Race for The Cure

This is a picture from after the race, we stopped by my Mom's to show her the pictures and tell her how much we LOVE her. I know its out of order and it should go last to keep this chronological, but she is why we went and the reason I was able to have such a wonderful experience. So I wanted her to be first.

My Mom went in for a mammogram the first of February, I am so thankful every day that she felt a desire to go in. My Mom doesn't go to Doctors very often and this was her first mammogram. They discovered a lump on Friday she had it biopsied on Monday, we meet with her 3 doctors on Wed and it was removed the following Wed (they would have done it sooner but My Mom said she couldn't miss work til then, another lady was already off for a vacation and she couldn't leave them short handed. I was so upset with her at the time I mean it's Cancer when you find out you have Cancer you get that crap out of you as soon as possible right? That's My Mom for you she always has and always will put others first I love that and at that moment hated that about her too). That first week was so scary Cancer kills and it was in my Mom it was big and the doctors were pretty concerned about the size of it and whether or not it was in her lymph's. All of us joked around when we were together then went home and cried about it alone. That's my family for you we can find humor in the worst of situations. After the surgery we had great news only one lymph was infected, which the doctors said the chemo and radiation would take care of. My Mom has been very courageous this whole time, I am so amazed. She is half way through chemo and can't wait to finish the rest. I have watch my Mom physically change with this disease, she is tired and gets sick a lot easier, shopping is something my Mom loves but can no longer do very often it just wears her out. My Grandparents are living with my Parents right now, I know at times this is hard on them but through it all my mom smiles and laughs, she still goes and supports the big events in all of our lives ( Brett just graduated college she was there in the audience dry huffing and cheering) she has shown me to deal with adversity with a smile. I don't thing words can explain how much her life is teaching me about the person I want to be.




Kim, Hannah, Wynnie, Sophie, Esther, Preston and I went to the Race for the Cure in Salt Lake today. (Bob and Bruce went to a father son camp out that night) Their was going to be a bigger group but life happened I would have let life happen too but my Mom really wanted to go but couldn't because she had to get a booster shot (her white blood cells keep tanking), Kim and I decided to sign up and walk in for her. We had signed up for the mile walk we figured that would be easiest to do with all the kids. Some where in the confusion of it all we ended up walking with the 5k. Sophie, Esther, and Preston took naps on the walk and Hannah did a great job walking i think she did almost half. I expected to go down there walk and hopefully find my Mom a necklace for Mothers Day. We registered and then went and looked at the vendor booths when I came across a shirt for little kids that said "When I grow-up their with be a cure." I chocked back the tears this is a race who cry's at a race, especially just reading a t-shirt? We keep looking when someone mentioned that the race had started we hurried back to were it started and joined in the walk, hence the reason we walked a 5k instead of the mile. As we turned onto 300 W. and crossed under the bridge I looked up and as far as I could see the streets were lined with people, and then the tears came. I looked at the signs on peoples back as they raced celebrating loved ones, and those who walked in Memory of those they loved there were people who had to have been in their 70's walking down to infants in snugglies. So many life's have been affected by this disease. Next I noticed how many women wearing pink shirts were Kim and My age. (pink shirts were for the survivors) The one thing that was clear is that breast cancer doesn't care about your age, if you have young kids, what race you are, or even what sex you are. I know guys can get breast cancer but it really hits home when you see them wearing their pink shirts or written on the backs of people's shirts. As we walked cheerleaders from local high school cheered "Breast examines, and mammogram. We are the cure." Although their is no cure for breast cancer it is extremely treatable if found early.



As we walked the last little bit through the Gateway they had a area away from the rest of the walkers for survivor's, then they all meet up on the steps of the Gateway. I can't wait till next year when my Mom can be there with us and to see her walk that last bit and go up on the stairs. I know this has been a hard battle for her. She is used to being the one who helps other people out and since February she had to learn to let people help her. I am so grateful for those Family member's and close friends who have brought in dinners, made phone calls of concern and engorgement, flowers, and books have been given that have brightened her day. I know she looks forward to the time when she has more energy and can go celebrate life with her friends and family, she's half way their. Next years going to be great. Mom I love you so much thank you for the example you are to me and my children, you teach me something new everyday.


No comments: